Living in the Comox Valley
Small communities offering big city amenities and much, much more.
The Comox Valley is a rural region with diverse communities, all of which offer their own charm and character. From country living to a more urban lifestyle you can find it these communities. Courtenay, Comox, Cumberland, Union Bay, Denman Island, Hornby Island, Fanny Bay, Royston and Black Creek. The region’s population is closing in on 65,000 with 25,000 in Courtenay, 13,500 in Comox and 3,400 in Cumberland.
Get Outside and Play!
Enjoy most anything you are interested in year round… Hiking, cycling, golf, fishing, it’s all here.
Year round activities include:
• Hiking - At sea level to a mile above sea level on Mount Washington and everything in between
• Mountain Biking – A huge variety of trails to challenge every level of rider, including world class destination mountain biking in Cumberland.
• Camping – Lakeside, riverside and oceanside
• Golf (5 courses within the community)
• Kayaking – River, whitewater and ocean
• Standup Paddleboarding
• Salmon and Trout Fishing
• Scuba Diving
• Skiing, Snowboarding and Snowshoeing - In the winter Mount Washington Alpine Resort is only 45 minutes away and can boast some of the deepest snow depths in the world. Enjoy downhill and cross country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing and tube rides.
To learn more about the amazing diversity of things to do in the Comox Valley go to www.discovercomoxvalley.com.
Culture & Entertainment
The Comox Valley offers an array of amenities such as a huge variety of quality restaurants (focusing on local ingredients), access to live music, theatre and festivals. An eclectic mix of boutiques, galleries, craft shops and shopping centres are sure to please the most discriminate shopper. Live music can be enjoyed almost every weekend with at least eight venues to choose from. Plan a day to go out on a local Wineries or Craft Beer Distilleries Tour.
Summer Festivals include:
For history buffs there is plenty to see and learn in these museums, from dinosaurs to our logging and mining heritage.
Amenities & Infrastructure
The Comox Valley offers a diverse collection of services not commonly found in a rural community. This makes for a healthy, vibrant community with a stable economy. A new state of the art regional hospital opened in fall of 2017.
• CFB Comox Military Base
• Comox Valley Marina
• Courtenay and District Fish & Game Club
• Comox Valley Airport (YQQ)
• Courtenay Air Park
• Financial, medical and professional services
• Many playing fields, soccer pitches, skateboard parks, etc.
• North Island College
• Recreational Centres in Courtenay, Comox and Cumberland
- Including 2 indoor and 1 outdoor pool, 2 indoor arenas and a state-of-the-art track facility
• RCMP Detachment
• North Island Hospital
• Sid Williams Theatre